Friday, February 12, 2016

Who's the Fool?


 Jim Elliott once said, "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." We don’t own a home or a new car or fancy furniture. And if need be I would give up everything that we have here on earth in order to serve God and follow Christ. I know that one day in eternity it would be worth it all. I wrote this little verse during my devotion today to try and express my commitment to this principle.



No home, no car, no earthly treasure,
Could ever give to me the pleasure;
That comes from what God may give.
There is no reason to be on this earth,
Nothing can be compared to this great worth;
Than giving all for God while here I live.

(Gregg Metcalf)

5 comments:

nashvillecats2 said...

You have a great talent for poetry Gregg, wonderful post.
Yvonne.

Gregg Metcalf said...

Thanks so much! That is an honor coming from a published poet!

kc bob said...

Reminds me of that old chorus that begins like this:

All I once held dear, built my life upon
All this world reveres, and wars to own
All I once thought gain I have counted loss
Spent and worthless now, compared to this

Knowing you, Jesus
Knowing you, there is no greater thing
You're my all, you're the best
You're my joy, my righteousness
And I love you, Lord

Here is a link to a bunch of guys singing it at a Promise Keepers event.

kc bob said...

Forgot to mention that I love what you wrote Gregg.

Gregg Metcalf said...

Thanks Bob!