Wednesday, July 23, 2014

How To Prepare for the Day

On occasion and just recently I was asked how I "do devotions."  I think what they were asking is how do I fellowship with God and prepare for the day on a daily basis.

There is no doubt that there are probably as many ways to "do devotions" or prepare for your day as there are available opinions in the church. I have tried various devotional plans over the years and I have experimented with each one of them. 

Without impugning motives, most of the devotional plans are little "traps" that fool us into thinking we have actually fellowshipped with God and accomplished something beneficial. Most devotional plans lead you unwittingly and unintentionally down the path toward Pharisee-ism. We have a tendency to put our confidence in a plan, or a program, or a process rather than a person.

No devotion plan will "change you" or make you more spiritual. Only God through the Holy Spirit and use of His word can make a difference in your life. It is a person not a process.

Having said that, let me share with you the "guide" or "out-line that I use to prepare myself for the day and to seek/maintain fellowship with God. I am not tied to this and I change it up now and then.

1.      Invocation

-take a deep breath
-rid myself of all distractions
- opening prayer inviting God to meet with me and to do a work in my hear

-I : incline my heart to the word (give me an eagerness for your Word)
-O : open my eyes to the wonderful truths/principles in your Word
-U : unite my heart into one unit that worships in fear and awe
-S : satisfy me in the morning with your unfailing love

2.      Delight in the Word

-Psalm of the Day

3.      Confession of Sin

--Psalm 32
--Psalm 51
--1 John 1:8-2:6

4.      Scripture Reading of the Day

--Key Verse
--What Does God Say in this Passage?
--What are my thoughts?
--What do I need to do?
--What do I need to pray for?

5.      Prayer

-Adoration: what can I worship God for?
-Confession: what sin (s) do I need to confess?
-Thanksgiving: what can I thank God for?
-Supplication: what can I pray for?

6.      Sing Hymn (s)

7.      Benediction

-thank God for the fellowship
-ask God to help me remember the truth/principle/lesson
-ask God for strength to resist temptation & sin
-ask God for strength to be obedient & faithful today



11 comments:

Scott said...

I don't see coffee mentioned here. How can you prepare for the day without coffee??

EnglishRose said...

A wonderful way to prepare for the day, more people should take heed.

Yvonne.

Eddie Eddings said...

Gregg, I heartily agree with your view on devotional "trappings". I have ran into more than a few who think, even though you may have studied, prayed and labored over passages of Scripture, unless you have a designated "quite time" you aren't doing it right.
...also to Scott:
You should come up with an acronym for devotions that use the letters COFFEE. (I'm on vacation and am presently too lazy to even try.)

Gregg Metcalf said...

@ Scott- for those who no me, they no coffee is a given. However, I have typed up and handed out devotion "guidelines" with the first point, in bold caps Brew Hot Black Coffee!

@ Yvonne - it is a good way for all of us, especially God's children to begin the day! Thanks!!

@ Eddie - Thanks, sadly many devotionals are dry and kill the Spirit. I will work on the COFFEE and see what I can come up with! Have a good vacation dude, I am jealous. Oops, that's a sin I think!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Excellent~ So true that devotions is to fellowship with our LORD!

Anonymous said...

I am sorry Gregg that so many comments were repeated. Delete them. They are giving me trouble.
Thanks~

Scott said...

Love the COFFEE idea. Let's see what it produces!